Sunday, September 15, 2013

Perfect Fire Pit

Occasionally I share my plans for diy projects that I have planned for my own place.  Partly because discussing them helps me get it all straight in my head.  Also because I get input from some of my readers on their own experiences, and that is a huge help.  So here is another project that I plan on doing before the weather gets too cold.

An in-ground fire pit is going to be perfect for me.  I have some flower beds that are a short distance from my porch that will be perfect.  Especially since I can't seem to get flowers to grow in these beds.  So one of them will become my fire pit.  Another reason that the location is perfect is that I have been using a portable fire pit to help with frost and freeze on the porch plants.  They need all the help they can get and by lighting a fire about 4 a.m., there is a bit of relief from the really chilly mornings.


Here is what I have to work with.  Please excuse the monsoon weeds that are taking over.  There are a couple of possibilities and the best one will be the one I can not use.  The round planter would be the easiest shape to convert to a fire pit, but




I have been growing, diligently attempting to grow trees for shade, and some of these trees are right over the round planter.  I just can't justify ruining my trees for the sake of the fire pit.  So - I can make an odd shaped pit, which I am fine with but it isn't very big.









Another possibility is to knock out the concrete between the two planters and make it one big opening and reshape to the size I would like.  Sounds like a lot of work but may be worth it.  I will be asking anyone who will listen, just what my problem is and see what they think is best.

What I hope my fire pit looks like when I am done -


Pretty neat, right?  

As always, I will up date you on my progress as I move along on this project. 

No comments:

Post a Comment