Thursday, January 3, 2013

Mavis Grows Onions

I follow Mavis's site, One Hundred Dollars a Month, faithfully.  She has amazing ideas and tips in every news letter.  And she is fun.  This counts for me.


I just saw this story about raising onions.  Mavis lives in an area that is friendly to the home gardener, which helps, but I think this story will be good for almost every one.  Please check it out.

How to Grow Onions – Start to Finish 

by One Hundred Dollars A Month on January 2, 2013 

 
 Yesterday I planted my first packet of seeds for the 2013 growing season. Yellow Granex Onion. This is a new variety for me so I’m pretty excited.
 Brief description: The Yellow Granex Onion is mild, sweet, and great for storing {also known as Vidalia Onion}. If you are from Washington State, and like Walla Walla Sweet onions, my dad told me these taste just like them.

Where to Plant Onions:  They thrive in warmer climates with 12 hours of sunlight. Onions can be sown directly outside starting in late fall for a late spring harvest. Or started indoors in early January {like I’m doing} and transplanted outside in early spring when the weather warms up. Onions do well in a sunny location/raised beds/or even a greenhouse.
Planting Seeds:  Plant seeds 1/4″ to 1/2″ deep, with 2 seeds every 4 inches apart.
 Growing Tips:  Water throughout growing season, including winter.  Onions can withstand a freeze if they are sufficiently hydrated.
 How to Harvest:  Harvest when their necks feel soft and/or the tops have fallen over. When 50% of the tops have fallen over and are lying on the ground, go ninja and knock the rest over. Then about a week or two later when much of the foliage has dried, carefully dig the onions out and dry them in the garden in the sun for a couple of days.
After drying, remove the roots, clip the stems so you are leaving about 1″ of the neck.
Have you ever thought about storing your onions in pantyhose? All the cool people are doing it! Go HERE to learn how.
There you have it.  You can never go wrong with Mavis.  She also has some great recipes.  Yep - even using your onions.  Since we all know that onions are really great tasting and really great for us, I will hunt around for great recipes to share, including Mavis's for sure. 

No comments:

Post a Comment