Thursday, January 10, 2013

Mini Preparedness # 4

In Mini Preparedness #3, I made a list of the main meal type items that I keep in stock for my plan;  that would be  10 people for 30 days.  As mentioned in the past, that is all I can handle planning for at this time.  Tho it may not be perfect, it is better than doing nothing because I can't afford to stock up, or because I just can't fathom a larger degree of preparation.

I only made a list of main proteins, and now it is time to add in all the sides that will keep us fed, content and easy to save and store.  One of the most important things to remember when you are stocking up on these items is expiration dates.  Items that have moisture in them will be the first to go bad.  Think about that when making your own list.  Also, dried items are easily sucked into a plastic bag, with a Food Saver, that will help and greatly expand they longevity.  More about the Food Saver later.

Here's a bit of the list that I have for my 'side dishes', for 10 people x 30 days.






4 pounds of instant mashed potatoes - this makes about 35 cups of
     potatoes.  This is one of those items that take very little cook
     time, saving fuel.  I may consider obtaining another 4 pounds.
     You can make potato pancakes from these for a nice change.
     In their dry form, you can  preserve them with you Food Saver
     and they will last for years and take up very little space.
4 pounds of minute (or quick) rice.  I have this in a variety of white,
     brown and speciality rices.  Quick cooking makes it easy and
     saves your fuel supply.  Rice will  be great alone and with many
     additives.  I will, eventually, add some great recipes that you can
     make from the items on my list.  Once again, perfect for the
     Food Saver and will last for years.
40 packages of ramen noodles.  If it didn't take up so much space, I
     would have 4 times this amount.  Great in so many ways and can be
     saved for years.
10 boxes of stove top type stuffing mix.  This takes up a lot of space
     if left in the box.  I remove the contents, cut the instructions off
     the boxes, and put the contents of many boxes in a bag for saving.
     What a great and filling little side dish.
6 pounds of pasta.  I buy the smaller sizes of noodles since they are
     the quickest to cook.  Suck these into the bags for preservation
     that will last years.
8 cans or jars of pasta sauce.  For obvious uses.
50 cans or jars of vegetables.  I get a variety to satisfy everyone.
     these are on my shelves and use and replenished on a regular
     basis.
50 cans or jars of fruit.  The lack of fresh fruits will be pretty
     depressing so this is really important.  The kids will especially
     appreciate these items.






15 packets of powdered sauces.  With just a little water and heat,
     you can have sauces to add to your pasta for a more complete
     meal.
15 packets of powdered gravys.  Again, just a little water and heat
     and you can transform something boring to something delicious.
15 packets of powdered cheese sauce.  You can imagine how many
     uses you have for this.  Pasta to eggs to meats - and more.

Well, there you have it.  That is just the basics.  I have a number of other items that are tucked away just for the variety. When I find bargains on other side items, I pick them up, so long as the expiration is reasonable*.  Another important fact to remember here is to only get items that you can use within the expiration time, even if there is not an emergency reason to use them.  I share my items with my kids and rotate items out every summer to keep things fresh.

I feel a bit over whelmed with the lists that I share.  And there are many more to do.  I have drinks, snacks, spices, tools, medications - you know what I mean.  But, these are all items that will never be a waste if you rotate them in your daily supply properly.  Check back soon for more info.

* I can not stress enough how important it is to be totally aware of expiration dates.  Many dates are pretty bogus but some really mean what they say.  No one wants to waste their money on items that will end up in the garbage.  Spend the time, while in the store, to read the dates.  Reach to the back of the shelves to find the freshest items.  Check a variety of brands; some have a longer shelf life than others.  Also, consider ordering on line for larger packages that are reasonably priced and, since they are sold nation wide, they may be fresher from the start.


No comments:

Post a Comment