Saturday, January 19, 2013

Mini Preparedness #6

Did I ask before, in a past post, if you are bored of the list for Mini Preparedness?  I don’t remember for sure.  There you go - one of the reasons that I make lists.  I do forget at times.  There are times that I think that with age, I forget things and I use the list for security.  But, I have been making list since I was in my teens.  I do know that I feel a little pleasure in checking items off my lists.  I review them on a regular basis to see what I need and what coupons I have.  And I regularly come across new items that I want to have in storage, so it needs to go on a ‘list’.  With that said -  let’s look at some of the odds and ends that you would find in your kitchen that would be nice, if not essential to have in your emergency list. 



This list is not one with recommended amounts.  Depending on your personal situation, you will make that determination.   I will tell you that some are multi – purpose and will never go bad.  Some will last a very long time with proper storage, I use a Food Saver, so why not have plenty.  Most are not expensive items. 



Salt – this is a good thing to have, not just for seasoning but because if you get into a situation where people are becoming dehydrated because of a lack of water, it could be a life saver.  I have numerous containers of salt in my house because I use it to set color in many bright fabrics.  Another use, for when camping of just setting food up in an outdoor area, is to repel some of those pesky insect that are crawlers, such as ants, centipedes and scorpions.  It is not like they will not crawl across the salt but they usually will not.   If you save some cans the size of a small tuna can or a cat food can, you can place these under the legs of tables and even play pens or cribs.  Then add about a half inch of salt and know that your food is a little safer and maybe your babies tool   AND – salt never goes bad as long as it is kept dry.


Sugar – again this is one of those items that is more for pleasure than a need.  Think of the item you could make with a little extra of this item.  Also is a good bartering item if we are looking at a long term emergency.    This item – kept dry, will also last forever. 


Flour – no brainer here.  Make some camp fire biscuits or coffee cake, with any leftover fruit if you desire.  And item that if sealed well, can last a very long time.  I get 5 pound bags, leaving the flour in the sealed bag, and use the Food Saver to take most of the air out.   More than anything, I am keeping bugs and water out.  Always great for the barter power also.

Artificial sweetener - totally random item that is purely unnecessary but could be a nice treat for some and it takes up so little space.


Baking soda – the obvious exist here.  If you are lucky enough to be able to do a little stove top or over baking, this will be needed.  But look at the other possibilities.  If someone get a rash or a bite and the itch just won’t go away, this makes a perfect paste to relieve the irritation.  Minor burns that do not blister but hurt, or sunburn, will benefit for a little dusting of baking soda.  Because I use it in my refrigerator to help eliminate odors, I always have an extra few boxes around.  Come to think of it, order eliminating may be a nice think to have around if you are having to use a make shift bathroom in your back yard. 


Basic spices – totally for personal enjoyment and to help you not feel like you are being totally deprived.  Taste is such a satisfying sense.  If you are having a really lousy day, a bowl of soup with some good spices may relax you a bit more that beans that are lonely fulfilling nutritional needs.   I went through my cabinet and checked for my most often used spices and came up with pepper, chili powder, garlic powder, onion powder, season salt, Italian seasoning, bay leaves and vanilla.  I pick these up at a dollar store so it is not a big cost and takes up little room.


Baking powder – just if you think that you may be doing that baking on the stove top again, it is helpful.
Dehydrated shitake mushroomsCostco carries a large container of these for a reasonable price that I am not sure of at this time. These are amazing for the flavor and the nutritional content. It only takes a short time of soaking in water and you have fresh mushrooms, right about the time you think that there is nothing fresh to be had.  When stored in a Food Savor bag, these will last for years.  I know this for a fact since that is the way I store them.  


Small packets of assorted sauce and mixes – I have salad dressings, sloppy joe, chili, teriyaki, taco, bbq, guacamole, herb, enchilada, Asia pork stew, gravies, Cajun, fish, sweet and sour, and a few more.  I don’t have a lot of these, but they take up so little space, why not indulge if you can. All of these only need water or oils are needed to reconstitute. 
If I am in a tight situation and life is more stressful than I could ever imagine (and people around me are feeling the same), I’ll be damned if I am going to deprive myself of some flavor, if I can help it. 


Seeds – and I am not talking the kind to grow in the garden.  I am talking the kind that will give you fresh greens, quickly and easily.  This subject deserved its own post a few days ago.  Link here.  


Olive oil – like most items that do not have a huge shelf life and you cannot extend it by sealing, I just keep an extra bottle in the back of the cabinet and rotate.  


Coconut oil – as mentioned in an earlier post, this is an amazing item.  Fantastic for your health, to cook with (at low temps) and if you have a skin condition (or just want to stay moist) this will do the trick.  Like all oils, it is on the shelf with one extra. 


HONEY – this is so important.  I know that many people use this to add a little sweet to their oatmeal, tea or coffee, but it is so good for you.  We will all need to concentrate on consumption of antioxidants when times are tough.  Best of all, it will NEVER go bad.  So have plenty.  


Peanut butter – it’s energizing, and can be easily eaten straight or with that honey.  It has a good shelf life but I still keep it on the shelf with a couple extras for back up.


Popping corn – not that fancy microwave stuff but a bag or two of good ole’ popping corn.  You can pop it in a fry pan in just a matter of minutes.  Stir it around in a bowl with a little peanut butter and honey and you pretty much have a meal.  Popping corn is easiest sealed if you leave it in the original bag.



Vinegar – other than Easter eggs dye, there are so many uses for vinegar.  You can sooth the sting of a sunburn, cut and scrape.  You can also use for disinfecting items like toothbrushes and table tops.  There are many more and you can find some of them by clicking here

There you go with yet another list.  I know that there are items that I have missed and items on this list that are completely unnecessary.  But, these are only suggestions and items that I have decided to have in my personal stash.  

Good luck with your gathering and please don't put off starting and building your secure future.   

No comments:

Post a Comment