Saturday, April 5, 2014

Got Fruit Flies?

It's that time of the year when the fresh fruit is arriving in the markets and the fruit flies are coming right along with it.  Occasionally I have had issues with these pesky little things and have tried many solutions, to no avail.  About the time I am doing my victory dance, the little buggers and are back.  Now, a solution may have been found. 


You know how I love Mavis and her site, 100 Dollars A Month.  Well, she had a post from a viewer who says she found an answer.  An answer she has had personal success with.  Check out this simple solution.

After researching “fruit fly traps” on the Internet last night, I tried the new method I had not tried before: Apple Cider Vinegar, 3 drops of liquid dish detergent, and a jar. I was about out of vinegar so I only had enough vinegar to make 1/2 inch deep in the jar, I added the 3 drops of dish detergent that “breaks the surface tension” (that means the flies sink to the bottom and not float). 

 I was totally amazed at how well this worked. No cover of plastic or funnel needed. The flies loved the vinegar. Success!

If you are like me, you are saying to yourself - Where is the rest of this?  So simple.  Can't work.  I can't wait to have a friend call and complain about fruit flies so I can offer this bit of advise and see for myself if it really works.


Now, I wonder if this would work with those horrible little gnats that get in my patio plants, every year, over and over again.  I can only hope.  


No comments:

Post a Comment