Friday, August 3, 2012

Making a Sturdy Sunsreen

     If you are anything like me, you don't want to spend your hard earned money or your precious time making sun protection for your    garden or your bucket garden, that will not have a long life span.

     Here's a few tips that I can share on how I did mine.  And so far,  it's working out pretty darn well.

     First and obvious, plan and measure your area and figure how you can most utilize the screen you purchase.  If you do like I did, you may be cutting in various shapes and a bit of planning is the only way you will not waste screen.

     When you purchase your screen be aware of the different levels of protection.  How much sun do you want to block?  How intense will the sun be on your plants?  If you have plants that need little to no sun protection and also plants that just can't handle the full sun, you may need to purchase two different levels of screen protection.  I went to Home Depot for mine and found that they had a couple different types; I got the lighter one since my season is mild and I will have shade part of the day.  One roll was plenty but I think I may go back next month and start checking to see if they ever have a clearance on them.  This stuff is so versatile that I bet they don't, even when the holiday decor starts coming in, but I can always hope.

     Don't want to be mending your sunscreen every time there is a gusty wind?  Then do the corners right to start with.  It's a bit time consuming but in the long run it will save you time and money.  Here is what I did.  I am sure you can customize it to you needs.

     I purchased a bit of sturdy and inexpensive fabric, water resistant fabric glue, and grommets (in a little kit if you don't already have one). 

     I cut random, far from perfect, squares of the fabric, enough to put one on each side of the screen and on every corner of the screen. Then use your fabric glue to attach the fabric.  I used clothes pins to hold these in place since the slippery finish of the sunscreen if bound and determined to have your fabric sliding off as soon as you turn your back.

     After allowing the glue to dry for 12 - 24 hours, depending on the heat and humidity, you are ready to get those grommets in place.  I used a razor knife to cut a very small  X  slit in the middle of each piece of fabric so the grommet would go in easier.  I just had no luck using the hole cutter that comes with the grommet kit.  So  X  marked the spot for me.  From there, just follow the instructions on applying the grommets.

    Wow !  now you have a sturdy corner that is ready to endure the entire summer or even longer.

     I used c-clips and small rope to attach to eye bolts that are screwed into the fence post.  I can unhook the clips when I am working in the garden or if I want a little extra sun on a couple of particular plants.

     That's how I did it.  Let me know what method you use for your sunscreen.

No comments:

Post a Comment