Sunday, September 16, 2012

National Guacamole Day

     It's National Guacamole Day and I am so ready to celebrate this one.  I love all types of guac, just like I love the avocado all by itself.
Best part is that it is all good for you also. 
     So I feel like sharing a couple of my favorite recipes and hope that anybody out there who has a good one to share will do just that.
I like my dips chunky so I will chop and smash the ingredient by hand.  If you prefer the smoother type dip, just throw everything into a blender.  Also, I am a big woose when it comes to spicy.  I often go really like on the spice.  Not a big deal with guacamole since the flavor of the avocado is so good.
Avocado, Cottage Cheese and More
ingredients -
2 avocados
2 tomatoes - diced
1/2 cup finely diced sweet onion
2 cups cottage cheese
lemon juice from one lemon or about 2 tablespoons will work
1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
a little salt and pepper to taste
add  jalapeno pepper or any other of your choice, finely chopped, to
     desired taste. 
Serve with chips, tortillas, eggs, tamales, anything that you feel like.

Guacamole with Sour Cream and Cream Cheese
ingredients -
3 avocados
1 tablespoon sour cream
6 ounces softened cream cheese
2 tablespoons salsa
dash of salt and pepper
a big dash of garlic sale and onion powder
1 teaspoon lemon or lime juice
Mix all ingredients in a bowl and let set for at least 30 minutes.  You
     can replace the cream cheese with more sour cream if you desire.

Ok - those are a couple of my favorites.  Everyone has their own take on what is good so to experiment is great.  Just in case you haven't been a big fan of making guacamole at home, you should know that the purpose of lime or lemon juice is to give it just a little kick and (more importantly) to keep the avocado from turning black before you get to eat the dip.  

     Also, mix it up a bit.  I love adding chopped green onions to the mix, or finely chopped squash if I will be adding it as a side to a salad.  You can even add some shredded cheese to the mix if desired.  Then - eat with chips, top your scrambled eggs, add into your favorite burrito, partner with the taco filling, top bruschetta for a great finger food, or as I have been known to do - just dig in with a spoon. 

     Enjoy National Guacamole Day !


No comments:

Post a Comment