Tuesday, October 2, 2012

Storing Water for an Emergency

     
Do you save water, just in case there is some sort of emergency, large or small?  The recommended amount is a gallon of water per person, per day, for at least 3 days

For myself, I live in a rural area where we have water turned off on occasion for repairs.  We also have a lot of frozen water pipes in the winter.  I have been lucky and prepared and able to avoid the water loss.  A couple of years ago, after a really bad freeze, I had neighbors with no water.  Not a good thing when you have families and pets that include horses.  Lucky for the neighbors, I had 30 gallons of stored water.

One little thing that I have learned is that the basic gallon water jugs do not hold up for long.  I have some that started leaking after just a few months.  What does hold up much better is 2 liter soda bottles.  I have had some for 2 years and still staying strong.

I have water bottles that line my carport, just along the walls.  I also have them tucked in the corners or the garage where it is difficult to get to, so not in the way.  Another good place is the back of that kitchen cabinet, where you don't want to put anything because it is unreachable.  But those pots and pans seem to get shoved back there anyway.  Well, by lining that back area with bottles of water, you are keeping the pots in place and water stored.

I had a friend who asked "Don't you worry about how that water is going to taste after being outside for a year?" ( I switch out the water in the bottles every 12 months or so)  My brother was there at the time and his response was perfect, "When you have no water, the taste is of no concern."

Be prepared to the best of your ability and your comfort level.  Weather it is that water company construction or a national disaster, it is best to be ready for the unknown.


No comments:

Post a Comment