Friday, October 18, 2013

Halloween Cake and Cup Cake Ideas

They may look difficult to make, but I don't believe they are.  Not most of them anyway.  I am a big believer in the packaged cake mix.  I like to make my own frosting but there are times that the pre-made stuff is just as good or better.  Add a few accessories and you have it made.

Take a look at some of my favs for this year. 


Sort of gross, in a pretty sort of way.  Most is sort of typical but for the topper.  I didn't find the info but I believe the heart is made from fondant.  Myself - I may be tempted to buy a light weight plastic heart from one of the Spirit Halloween stores.


Is it wrong to go from gross to kiddo?  This is such a cute cake, I just had to put it next.   Simpler than you may think.  Basic cake with cake pops on top.  The hairy frosting is made by using a thick frosting and running it through a garlic press.  I told ya it is simple.


This one IS complicated and I would not attempt to tell you any different.  Each layer is covered with fondant.  A lot of the decorations are fondant also.  And then you have all sort of detail and add ons and more and more.  I love this so I had to show it but, it is way out of my league.  I am glad I have a grand daughter who is good with this sort of thing.  I will go to her if I am in need. 


Again we have simple and so darn cute.  Basic cake with thick frosting drizzled down sides.  The ghost are made of marshmallow frosting with chocolate tube decorating frosting for the faces.  This is a cake that I will make but I may try to make the ghost with whipped marshmallow.  


Too soon to do gross again?  This little cup cake is basic again, at least in the beginning.  You can use marzipan or fondant to make the eye ball.  Then, you use a bit of red glaze, I would make it strawberry or cherry, to finish it off.   Gross?  Yep.  Fun?  Yep!  The tweens and teens will love it.


This concept can be used as a cupcake design or for a cake.  Look complicated?  Well, a cupcake flavor of your choice, black frosting, marshmallows on a sucker stick with faces made from black decorator frosting (from a tube would be easiest), and then there are those strange little flattened black cat figures.  Not looking so easy but, when you consider that they are made of manipulated fruit snack leather, it begins to seem not so bad.  This is by far my favorite.  But, I do have a great love for Jack


Ugh!  Back to sort of difficult.  It isn't too bad if you can work with fondant to make the designs.  The topper is made of fondant wrapped around a spooky figure.  OK - not so bad if you have a steady hand for the designs and the patience for fondant.  


Any cake design works for the outer part of this one.  The inside is the fun part.  To make the dots - make cake pops of what ever color you want, in this case it is orange.  Bake them til barely done and not over done.  Mix up your contrast mix, chocolate in this cake, pour into layered pans and add your cake pops.  Bake as usual.  And - you have a dotted cake.  

This is so cute or a Halloween cake but think about this in pastels for a baby shower or a nice spring cake.  Then you could do one for Forth of July or Christmas.  Possibilities are endless.


Lastly - Here you have a basic cup cake, flavor of your choice with witch pieces.  Chocolate wafer cookie with candy kiss for the hat.  Marzipan or fondant for the legs and shoes.  Simple enough for a kid to make, with just a little help.

That's it for a few days.  More super Halloween treats to come.  Check back soon and don't miss out on the other subjects that are covered on this blog.  You may just find you like some other content.





No comments:

Post a Comment