Tuesday, January 7, 2014

4 Block Rocket Stove

Recently I saw a video about a home made 'rocket stove'.  I  was amazed.  This thing is simple to make; simple to assemble and can be made for under five dollars.  Check out the video on the 4 block rocket stove and it's assembly by DesertSun02.



When my brother saw this, he was equally impressed - I guess.  We headed to his property in the mountains just a couple weeks later and he came equipped with blocks for his very own rocket stove.
There was no way I was going to let this event happen without documentation.  I wanted proof that the original video was accurate  as to the ease of this project.

Tho Ray's is big on solar power and pretty keen on prepping a bit for financial futures, this seemed to fit perfectly with his  - "I love hanging out on my little mountain get away" mode. Take a look at Ray, New World Solar Power and Crude Oil Trader, building his very own little rocket stove.



There you have it.  The no muss and no fuss little stove that you can take camping with you or build in your front yard.  All it takes is 3 standard, concrete, 8 x 8 x 16 grey block and 1   8 x 8 x 16, concrete 'H' block.  No bonding, no glue, totally movable and, if you shop at Lowe's, your cost is about $5, plus an old gas stove burner grate, to be found at a junk yard or old appliance store.  For me, I had saved some from my own discarded stove from many years ago. 

Here's a thought, and I will do an update when I pull this one off.  I am considering using this little concept to take  the chill off my patio plants during the winter.  You know - those mornings when it is really chilly and the frost wants to do some damage and you need a little porch heater.  And only a temporary one.   My thought is that I may add some sort of flexible stove pipe to the top so that I can build my rocket stoves a little ways off my porch and direct the heat to the porch.  This does mean that I will be out in the wee hours to light my stove, but what a great way to warm my plants! 

No comments:

Post a Comment