Saturday, January 4, 2014

Got Milk? Got Almond Milk?

As a child, I loved milk.  I would sneak milk, I would drink milk as a meal and I would get in a lot of trouble for drinking my milk before I ever took a bite of dinner.  My mom was forced to withhold my milk until after I had eaten a reasonable amount.  I learned at an early age to fake the choking thing to get my way.  I must have been an utterly annoying child, when it came to meals. (sorry; couldn't resist)

About ten years ago I became extremely allergic to milk and dairy products.  Please don't confuse this with being lactose intolerant.  There is a huge difference.  I switch to soy and really didn't care for the flavor but persisted, for a few weeks, with trying different brands of soy until I realized that I am also allergic to soy.  It took drinking it to wake me up to the reason that I had been getting such bad head aches from edamame beans

I eliminated my daily milkshakes, and my bowl of cereal before I went to bed, and for sure the edamames had to go.  What is left?  I didn't have any replacement until a couple of years ago when I noticed almond milk on the shelves.  I don't enjoy the flavor enough to drink a glass of it but I do enjoy it on cereal and will mix it all up with some fresh fruit and make an amazing smoothy.

I was all about finding out info on this new discovery.  I was afraid that i would be disappointed in the info that I would find, but wasn't.   Check out what  I recently found from Dr. Andrew Weil.

Almond milk is becoming increasingly popular as a reasonable alternative to cow's milk or soy milk. However, almond milk doesn't provide enough protein to be direct substitute for those products. That doesn't mean you shouldn't use it, but if you do, be sure that you get adequate protein from other sources.

If you're trying to get away from cow's milk, I usually recommend switching to soy milk. It is widely available and provides more protein than other "milks" on the market. It also has a creamy texture, but you need to be aware that some brands contain additives and thickeners, including carrageenan, which should be avoided. If you are allergic to soy or dislike soy milk, almond milk is a good choice as long as you pay attention to your protein intake.

Commercially available almond milk is often enriched with vitamins A and D, as well as calcium, to make it seem more like regular milk. (Almonds provide some calcium, but not as much as cow's milk.) Almond milk is low in calories compared to other milk substitutes and contains some heart-healthy monounsaturated fat.

Be sure to check the labels of almond milk before you buy, because some brands contain preservatives, and other additives. Note that you can make almond milk at home – an easy process, requiring only organic raw almonds, water and a little sugar or other sweetener. You can find many recipes online.


Dr. Weil has some great suggestions about oat, rice and hemp milk. Read more of the above article by clicking right here.

Back to the joys of almond milk - I am amazed at how reasonably priced this product is.  At the market that I shop at, the regular price is about $3.  On sale it is about $2.25.  Top that off with the coupons that surface on a regular basis - I am picking up a quart of almond mild for about $1.75. I believe that is quite a deal.

In the past couple of months, I feel like I am coming full circle with my special treats.  I can have cereal before bed time, if I want.  I can make a great smoothie.  And I have found a recipe for a milkshake that is pretty good.  It will never be the same as good ole' cows milk, but I do know that i so much healthier and for me, the only alternative that works for me.

Try the recipe below, even if you do not have a problem with dairy products.  You may be pleasantly surprised.




No comments:

Post a Comment